Greetings one and all my favorite Pengminions!
Richard here with your new delve into the deep complex inter-workings of a bird brain (more penguin puns, I know. I’m so good at them).
First off we have some lovely glass jars created by the misses.
Through the magic on Pintrest she found an exceptionally easy way to make these using the following
This is it!
Simply pour a little Mod Podge in the bottom, but not too much, this stuff goes a LONG way as she found out early on. Just dip your paintbrush in the bottom and pull the color up the side in straight lines. Don’t worry about a little clumping at the edges of the brush, it actually turns into slightly more tinted color after it dries which adds to the tinted glass effect. Make sure to give it plenty of time to dry too since any left over paint in the bottom will take a while to completely dry.
If you want to take it to the next level and really turn it into a Moroccan lantern, you can take a metal color of fabric paint and dab it onto the top and bottom to create a hammered metal look.
She’s pretty crafty for sure!
On my side of things I have spent many evenings over the last couple weeks cutting out gears of various sizes and shapes for use around the venue. One of my more interesting projects in this area has been creating cardboard negatives for use in spray painting a mass amount of gears on various surfaces.
To start out I would hit a tack with a pencil tied to it into the center of a piece of cardboard.
From there just hold the pencil as horizontal as possible while keeping the string taunt. In my case I also had to spin the pencil slightly to counteract the string winding around the pencil and shrinking the circle size (great for a spiral, but not for circles). Repeat this process a few times with smaller circles each time, depending on how large you want the gear teeth, spokes, and center.
Once here you can pull the tack out, from here create a X in the center. An easy (but not 100%) method is to line up a ruler over the hole in the middle. From here eyeball, or use a carpenters rule to find a right angle and finish off your X. Now that you have a starting point you can go a couple different directions depending on how many teeth you want your gear to have. The easiest way I’ve found to get accurate spacing for everything else is to measure the distance between the two points on the outermost circle. simply divide it in half and make a small hash mark. Repeat this process in between each mark. When done simply place your ruler across the middle and line it up with opposite hash marks. This will give you all the marks you need for a basic 8 tooth gear. For a 12 tooth, take the measurement between the X and divide it into three equal parts and repeat the process of matching up hash marks and marking lines across the center. When done it should look something like this
Should you want any more teeth, simply continue to measure the distance between the closest lines and make a mark at the halfway point. Match hash marks across the center again and make another line.
To create the teeth place your ruler perpendicular to one of the lines extending from the center and find measurement that extends a little less than halfway toward the next line (you want to leave room so you can taper the edges outward a little). Make a line along this distance and hash marks on the edge of the line extending up away from the center. Repeat this process for each line.
To create the taper coming down from the teeth I lined up my ruler between one of the hash marks and the edge of the smallest circle on the inside. Go ahead and make a line from the outer circle into the next one down. Repeat this process making sure to measure from the same side of the ruler for each line (made that mistake the first time and ended up with a couple teeth that were REALLY off, lol)
You should now be at this point.
From here, just measure a couple spokes from the center to the next circle. Now just take your time with your exacto knife making sure not to cut outside of the lines. Once it’s cut, just turn it over, make sure all the cut lines match up, and pop it out!
From here to create the negatives for my project however I had to find a way to make sure the parts in the center would stay put even while moving it from surface to surface. To make sure everything stayed put I decided to attach everything using small craft sticks with glue.
After making sure that each piece could be popped out I reassembled the gear and missing pieces (which I had labeled so that I could match them back up easy) I cut out small pieces of cardboard to provide a little distance in between the bottom and the craft sticks so it would be easier to make sure spray paint would get underneath them.
So there you have it! Two unique DIY projects that we have been utilizing to make sure our little soiree is as well decorated as possible (on an awesomely small budget)
If you have any awesome steampunk projects we could use, or need any clarification on any of the above instructions leave us a comment below!
Til next time Pengminions!!